The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) is a non-profit organization established to promote justice, advocate for fair and reasonable immigration law and policy, advance the quality of immigration and nationality law and practice, and enhance the professional development of its members.
The Executive Office provides the vision, leadership and general direction for AILA, actively interacting with all the departments, as well as day-to-day operations oversight. It includes the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer.
The Executive Assistant will provide administrative support to the Executive Office to help further AILA’s mission. The Executive Assistant will also carry out specific administrative tasks for the Board Governance and Component Relation department in support of the board of governors. This position has access to confidential and sensitive information, so any applicant must be comfortable working in this environment.
Essential job Functions
Enhances the effectiveness of the Executive Office by providing a high level of administrative support to the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer.
Position is accountable for carrying out the following duties: greeting visitors, maintain electronic and paper files, faxing, photocopying, mailing, couriering packages, setting appointments, setting up conference calls, making travel arrangements, setting up catered meals, preparing meeting agendas, preparing reimbursements, preparing expense reports, drafting correspondence, note taking, editing and proofreading materials, and performing internet research.
Provide administrative support to the executive team in carryout the following duties: Assist in coordination of materials for board meetings, draft and edit memoranda, presentations, charts, etc., track and coordinate board expense reimbursements. Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Should have experience working with a board of governors and taking notes during board meetings.
Position performs other duties and projects as assigned.
- Understanding of the business importance of providing exemplary customer service.
- Working knowledge and proficiency in MS Office Suite (specifically MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and PowerPoint).
1. Active listening and problem-solving skills.
2. Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
4. Capacity to develop a working knowledge of organization and various programs.
5. Capacity to provide timely response to requests for information, service and/or assistance.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and can prioritize and manage competing demands and use time effectively.
- Ability to exhibit professionalism in representing the organization, both internally and externally.
- Ability to exhibit trustworthiness in dealing with people, in the handling of sensitive information, and when processing payments and donations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and/or in writing, and provide concise information.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to remain calm, be patient and use reason – under pressure and when dealing with difficult personalities.
Education and Training
Undergraduate degree is preferred. A minimum of three years of experience in an administrative position is required preferably within a nonprofit environment and/or supporting senior level executives.
WE OFFER A DYNAMIC AND COLLABORATIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT WITH A COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION PACKAGE BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS. OUR GENEROUS BENEFITS INCLUDE 100% OF AN EMPLOYEE’S MEDICAL/RX, DENTAL, AND VISION PREMIUMS, AS WELL AS CONTRIBUTIONS TOWARDS DEPENDENTS’ PREMIUMS; A 401(K) WITH UP TO 3% MATCHING CONTRIBUTION UPON ENROLLMENT, EMPLOYER PAID DISABILITY AND LIFE INSURANCE AND COMMUTER SUBSIDY. IN ADDITION, WE PROVIDE EMPLOYEES WITH FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING AND TELECOMMUTING OPTIONS AND PLENTY OF TIME AWAY FROM THE OFFICE TO BOLSTER CREATIVITY AND RECHARGE. ADDED PERKS: FOUR-WEEK PAID PARENTAL LEAVE AND A FOUR-WEEK SABBATICAL EVERY TENTH YEAR OF SERVICE.
AILA RECEIVED RECOGNITION AS A 50 BEST PLACES TO WORK BY WASHINGTONIAN MAGAZINE. OUR DIVERSE MEMBERSHIP IS COMPRISED OF KNOWLEDGEABLE, COMPASSIONATE, AND DEDICATED PROFESSIONALS WHO CONSTANTLY WORK TO NAVIGATE THE COMPLEX PRACTICE OF IMMIGRATION LAW.
FOR CONSIDERATION QUALIFIED APPLICANTS ARE TO SUBMIT COVER LETTER, RESUME AND SALARY REQUIREMENT. COVER LETTER SHOULD INCLUDE A SUMMARY OF HOW YOUR BACKGROUND, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES RELATE TO THE RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.
NOTE: APPLICATIONS WITHOUT COVER LETTERS AND WHICH DO NOT INDICATE DESIRED SALARY MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED.
DIRECT HIRE ONLY – NO RECRUITERS (MAIL, EMAIL, FAX OR PHONE). NO RELOCATION OFFERED.