Headquartered in downtown, Washington, DC, the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) is a nationally recognized and respected organization with over 15,000 attorney members who practice and teach immigration law. For our membership, we provide advocacy, continuing legal education, practice resources, professional services and expertise.
Founded in 1946, AILA's mission is to promote justice, advocate for fair and reasonable immigration law and policy, advance the quality of immigration and nationality law and practice, and enhance the professional development of its members. To learn more about our organization, please visit www.aila.org.
The American Immigration Lawyers Association’s (AILA’s) Publications and Online Resources Department creates and administers the majority of the association’s content, including the website, daily e-newsletter, print and digital publications, and an online immigration research library. AILA’s Publications and Online Resources Department is comprised of two divisions: Online Resources and Publications.
Working as part of a team that both creates, and is tasked with ensuring the integrity of legal content, the Online Publishing Specialist performs a variety of routine and more complex tasks to prepare assigned electronic and/or print products for online publication, and ensures that the final product is accurate, complete, and timely. Incumbent also performs additional administrative and data-entry tasks, as needed.
Essential Job Functions
Preparation of Documents in Electronic Format: Prepares a variety of content for publishing in electronic format, including coding materials in HTML, posting content to the association’s online immigration research database, and linking relevant content within the database. Performs quality assurance on online content materials, including verifying completeness, accuracy, and functionality of all online content. Resolves coding errors in online documents. Conducts occasional training on the research database, as needed.
Preparation of Member Email: Sends daily email to AILA members. Edits code for email and manages email lists.
Troubleshooting Technical Issues: Troubleshoots technical issues encountered by the online content team and researches and implements new technical solutions to increase efficiency and streamline workflows.
Assistance and Preparation of External Content for Posting on AILA’s Website
Education and Training
Four-year undergraduate degree
Minimum Job Requirements
1-2 years of relevant employment experience. Experience must demonstrate the ability to follow instructions, work under pressure, be detail-oriented, and meet deadlines. Experience working with electronic research databases or working with HTML necessary.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities / Other requirements
- Demonstrated working knowledge of HTML5.
- Demonstrated experience using online content management systems and/or database.
- Working knowledge of, and proficiency using, the entire suite of Microsoft Office software and Windows 10.
- Comfortable with technology.
- Ability to apply association’s editorial style.
- Capacity to develop a working knowledge of association’s products and services.
- Ability to learn and apply new technology knowledge to advance goals.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy, and thoroughness.
- Ability to exhibit professionalism in representing the organization, both internally and externally.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with staff, members, vendors, and management.
- Ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical users.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment and initiative, and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, manage competing demands and use time effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate superior organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
We offer a dynamic and collaborative work environment with a competitive compensation package based on your experience and qualifications. Our generous benefits include 100% of an employee’s Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision premiums, as well as contributions towards dependents’ premiums; a 401(k) with up to 3% matching contribution upon enrollment, employer paid disability and life insurance, commuter subsidy, and on-site fitness room. In addition, we provide employees with flexible scheduling and telecommuting options and plenty of time away from the office to bolster creativity and recharge. Added perks: four-week paid parental leave and a four-week sabbatical every tenth year of service.
AILA received recognition as a 50 Best Places to Work by Washingtonian Magazine and one of the Principal 10 Best for Employee Financial Security. Our diverse membership is comprised of knowledgeable, compassionate, and dedicated professionals who constantly work to navigate the complex practice of immigration law.