The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) is the national association of more than 15,000 attorneys and law professors who practice and teach immigration law. AILA member attorneys represent U.S. families seeking permanent residence for close family members, as well as U.S. businesses seeking talent from the global marketplace. AILA members also represent foreign students, entertainers, athletes, and asylum seekers, often on a pro bono basis. Founded in 1946, AILA is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that provides continuing legal education, information, professional services, and expertise through its 39 chapters and over 50 national committees.
The IT Support Specialist assists the Technology Services Manager in providing technical support and expertise for a staff of approximately 105 users in a Microsoft environment. Specialist will assist with providing “help desk” support for software, hardware, and website login problems; serving as the primary person responsible for audio-visual needs in the conference rooms; and providing support for various online and in-house infrastructure tasks.
This position has access to confidential information, and therefore must function in a professional and confidential manner.
Essential / Major Responsibilities
Respond to staff requests for assistance with software questions and applications. Troubleshoot basic to intermediate desktop, laptop and printer hardware problems. Respond to technical and audio-visual needs of staff and offsite groups using the conference rooms. Assist with installation of software upgrades and patches. Keep current on latest developments in software, hardware, and peripherals. Provide written and verbal training to staff on software applications. Develop familiarity with association membership database to provide basic support to users.
New Users Set Up/Office Moves:
Assists with configuring new desktop computers, office moves, and training to new staff.
Assists with basic A/V needs of staff and renters in conference rooms.
Required Education and Experience
Four-year undergraduate degree with major in Information Management or related field, or equivalent IT certification with high school diploma.
Minimum Job Requirements
Minimum of 2 years of experience providing computer support, preferably in a LAN environment (Windows-based).
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities / Other requirements
Knowledge (acquired information necessary to do job, kind of knowledge required for the job)
- Understanding of the business importance of providing exemplary customer service.
- Thorough knowledge of basic principals and terminology used in network planning, installation and monitoring;
- Working knowledge and proficiency of the entire suite of Microsoft Office 2016/365 software and Windows 7/10.
- Working knowledge and hands-on experience with troubleshooting PC hardware and HP printers.
- Working knowledge of online technologies and social media
- Basic Audio-Visual knowledge – speakers, projectors, video equipment
Skills (position-specific learned activity, generally gained through training
- Outstanding and effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Capacity to develop a working knowledge of association products and services.
- Capacity to provide timely response to requests for information, service and/or assistance.
Abilities (position-specific talents; potential to perform tasks or functions – e.g., ability to communicate verbally or in writing)
- Ability to install, monitor, troubleshoot and support various types of electronic network equipment.
- Ability to learn and apply new technology knowledge to assigned work.
- Ability to exhibit professionalism in representing the organization, both internally and externally.
- Ability to exhibit trustworthiness in dealing with people, and in the handling of sensitive information.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and/or in writing with staff, members, vendors, and management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with customers and end-users.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment and initiative and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to remain calm, be patient and use reason – even when dealing with difficult personalities.
- Ability to demonstrate superior organizational skills.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, manage competing demands and use time effectively.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
Physical / Mental / Environmental Requirements
Requires sitting at a desk for extended periods of time; moving from place to place throughout the workday; using a PC work station for extended hours; ability to perform moderate heavy physical work which includes lifting items up to sixty (50) pounds, and to work in confined/cramped body positions; and communicating and exchanging information with others. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
**This position is not eligible for telecommuting.